This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Sit back and relax with a refreshing strawberry vodka smash loaded with fresh strawberries, vodka, sparkling water, and sweet simple syrup. The perfect strawberry cocktail to sip on after a long day.
If you’re looking to elevate your summer sipping game, we have just the drink for you! You’re going to love this Strawberry Vodka Smash.
The sweetness of the strawberries, paired with zing of citrus and sparkling water, delivers a refreshing and summery experience in every sip. So, grab your shaker because it’s time to make a homemade smash.
This vodka smash cocktail is the perfect cocktail to enjoy on a hot summer day – it’s fruity and refreshing with a hint of sweetness and plenty of bubbles. Looking for more sippable cocktails? Try this rum punch, pink moscato sangria, or even this blueberry vodka lemonade!
What is a Strawberry Vodka Smash Cocktail
A vodka smash is a refreshing cocktail that typically consists of vodka, fresh mint leaves, lemon or lime juice, and a sweetener such as simple syrup. A strawberry vodka smash is a delightful variation of the classic vodka smash cocktail that incorporates the delicious flavor of fresh strawberries. It follows a similar preparation method as the regular vodka smash, but with the addition of strawberries for a fruity twist.
Why You’ll Love this Cocktail
- Delicious Summer Cocktail – A sweet and fruity cocktail that is bursting with fresh strawberry flavor. It is perfect for when you can buy plump and fresh berries.
- Customizable – The ingredients are versatile – add different berries, add lime instead of lemon, and more!
- Bubbly Beverage – The sparkling water creates a nice bubbly component to the cocktail that really elevates the flavor.
- Perfect for Social Gatherings – Planning a summer BBQ or hosting a party, this cocktail is always a crowd pleaser on a warm summer day.
Ingredients Needed to Make this Cocktail
- Strawberries – Reach for ripe and brightly colored berries that you will hull and dice.
- Lemon Juice – I do recommend using real lemon juice and not bottled lemon juice for this recipe for optimal flavor.
- Simple Syrup – Simple syrup is a sweet sugary syrup that is going to help enhance the sweetness of the berries and balance out the citrus.
- Vodka – Reach for your favorite bottle of Vodka for adding to the cocktail.
- Sparkling Water – Any sparkling water or soda water works, or you could elevate it even more and reach for a lemon-lime soda.
How to Make a Strawberry Vodka Smash Cocktail
- Start by adding your strawberries, lemon juice, and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker.
- Use a muddle and smash the berries for about 30 seconds. You want to break up the berries and release the juice.
- Add in the vodka and ice cubes and shake to chill down the cocktail.
- Strain and pour the mixture into a glass with ice. Then top with sparkling water and garnish.
Variations To This Berry Vodka Smash
- Swap out the strawberries with blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or a berry mixture.
- Use lime juice instead of lemon juice and make a strawberry lime vodka smash.
- Simple syrup adds a bit of sweetness. Feel free to add as much or as little as you like depending on the sweetness of your strawberries.
- Use lemon-lime soda or ginger ale instead of club soda.
- Swap sparking water with prosecco.
- Use a berry or citrus flavored seltzer water instead of plain soda water.
- Instead of vodka use white rum, bourbon, or your spirit of choice.
- Garnish with strawberry slices and mint leaves for a nice minty twist to the cocktail.
How to Make Simple syrup
Add half cup sugar and half cup water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Let syrup cool and pour into a glass jar. Seal jar with lid and refrigerate until ready to use. Simple syrup can be refrigerated for about one month.
How to Muddle Fruit
To muddle fruit means to gently crush or mash it to release its flavors and juices. It’s a technique commonly used in cocktail making to extract the essence of fruits and incorporate them into the drink. Here’s a general guide on how to muddle fruit:
- Choose ripe, fresh and seasonal fruit: Common choices for muddling include berries (such as strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries), citrus fruits (like lemons, limes, or oranges), and even tropical fruits like pineapple or mango.
- Prep the fruit: Wash the fruit thoroughly under running water and remove any stems, leaves, or inedible parts. For larger fruits like citrus, cut them into smaller chunks or wedges. If using berries, you can keep them whole or halve them to release more juice.
- Use a muddler: A muddler is a bartending tool specifically designed for muddling. It usually consists of a long handle and a flat or textured bottom. If you don’t have a muddler, you can also use the handle of a wooden spoon, back of spoon or any similar utensil with a flat surface.
- Place the fruit in a sturdy glass or shaker: Put the prepared fruit pieces or berries into a sturdy glass or cocktail shaker.
- Gently press and twist: Hold the muddler or handle of wooden spoon with a firm grip and gently press down on the fruit pieces in the glass. Twist and rotate the muddler to release the juices while avoiding excessive force that might break seeds or create bitterness. The goal is to crush the fruit just enough to extract the flavors without grinding it.
- Continue until desired consistency: Muddle the fruit until you achieve the desired consistency and the juices have been released. The fruit should be partially crushed or mashed.
- Use the muddled fruit: Once muddled, the fruit can be added directly to your cocktail.
Can I make this delicious cocktail ahead of time?
This is a cocktail that is best made fresh and served right after it is made. The sparkling soda will go flat pretty quickly. If you would like to make a vodka smash ahead of time, add all ingredients except the sparkling water or soda to a large pitcher and refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving add your bubbly and enjoy!
Can I use frozen strawberries instead of fresh fruits?
Yes, go right ahead and use frozen berries instead of fresh ones. Just allow them to thaw or be partially thawed so you can get the juice to release when you smash berries.
Can I make a non-alcoholic version of a strawberry vodka smash?
Simply replace the vodka with a lemon-lime soda, sparkling water, or something similar. If you don’t want a bubbly drink then consider lemonade.
Looking for More Strawberry Cocktails?
Strawberry Vodka Smash
- 2 strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces sparkling water
- Add the strawberries, lemon juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker and muddle for 30 seconds, or until the berries are broken up and have released their juices.
- Add the vodka and then fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled.
- Strain the strawberry vodka mixture into your glass and then fill it half way full with fresh ice.
- Top with sparkling water and garnish with a sliced strawberry. Enjoy immediately.