This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This Mulligatawny Soup combines chicken with veggies and spices creating the most delicious soup. An easy soup recipe the entire family will love!
If you’re looking for a delicious dinner recipe for your family or to serve to dinner guests, you have to make this Mulligatawny Soup. This is my absolute favorite dinner and I’m telling you now – this one pot soup recipe will become a favorite in your house too. My mom has been making this recipe for 50 years and we are always asking her to make it for family meals.
This easy soup has a simple base of chicken and veggies simmered together in a flavorful broth. The combination of curry and nutmeg gives this soup all the flavor it needs with a hint of sweetness from apples hidden throughout. The whole things comes together in just a little over an hour and can easily be made gluten-free if you would like.
Mulligatawny Soup Ingredients
To make this mulligatawny soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken breasts: Cut into 1 inch pieces. I use boneless chicken breasts but feel free to use whatever cut of chicken you prefer.
- Butter: Used to brown the chicken and saute the veggies.
- Flour: Thickens the broth
- Spices: Curry powder, nutmeg, and cloves adds so much flavor to this soup. The perfect combination of spices!
- Chopped tomatoes: I add canned diced tomatoes without draining when making this soup to make it easier.
- Chicken broth: Or vegetable broth
- Vegetables: I always add a mix of onions, celery, carrots, and green pepper.
- Apple: the secret ingredient in this soup. Do not leave this ingredient out!
- Salt and pepper: To season the soup.
How to Make This Easy One Pot Soup
To make this easy one pot soup recipe, simply:
- Cook the chicken. Heat butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Saute chicken until no longer pink.
- Add the flour and stir. This should be done before adding the broth to the chicken. Cooking the flour before adding the chicken broth cooks off the flour-y flavor but will help thicken up the soup.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Add the veggies to the pot and stir in spices, diced apple, tomatoes, and chicken broth.
- Simmer. Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, and continue cooking until veggies are soft.
- Serve. We like to serve this soup over rice but it can also be served with crackers or biscuits.
How to Store and Freeze This Soup
Leftovers – Store leftover soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. If storing the soup with cooked rice, the rice will absorb some of the broth so you may need to add a little more chicken broth or water when you reheat it.
Prepare Ahead of Time – This soup can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated before serving. To reheat, heat over medium-low heat or microwave until heated throughout.
To Freeze – Add soup to a freezer-safe container and place in freezer for up to 3 months.=
More Delicious Soup Recipes
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Saute chicken until no longer pink. Add flour and stir together.
- Add veggies to the pot and stir in spices, diced apple, tomatoes, and chicken broth.
- Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, and continue cooking for about an hour.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice.
I have never heard of this soup..but it looks amazing!
I haven’t heard of it either but it looks delicious!
This looks so yummy! My husband loves curry, so I will have to try this for him! I love how bright and colorful it looks.
This sounds delish!
Ohhh this looks SO good!!!
Oh wow…I can almost smell the curry and nutmeg. I bet this is one fantastic soup…looks amazing!
I’ve never heard of this either, but it sounds delicious!