This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This Pumpkin Spice White Russian is the perfect autumn cocktail! Best of all, this delicious fall cocktail is simple and perfect for cocktail hour at home and all your holiday parties.
If you’re looking for a delicious fall cocktail, you’re going to love this Pumpkin Spice White Russian. This pumpkin spice version is a tasty twist on the classic White Russian recipe and perfect for this time of year. Not only is it full of seasonal flavors but it’s easy to make and delcious – everything you want in a fall drink!
And I’ll be honest – I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin flavored recipes but I love White Russians so when my husband suggested we make Pumpkin White Russians, we were both excited to give it a try. We were originally going to use pumpkin spice coffee creamer but then decided to make homemade pumpkin syrup. And I’m so glad we did because the homemade syrup gives this classic drink the perfect pumpkin flavor..
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Full of Pumpkin Flavor – This recipe is loaded with pumpkin spice flavors and perfect for the fall season.
- Rich and Creamy – Pumpkin spice flavors paired with coffee flavors and cream is the perfect combination.
- Fall Twist to the Classic Cocktail – If you love White Russians and pumpkin spice, this is a must-make recipe for you.
- Easy to Make – This recipe is straightforward, fool-proof and always a hit.
- Common Ingredients – This recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients that can be found at any store.
- Perfect Fall Cocktail – This pumpkin cocktail is the perfect fall cocktail recipe and will be your new favorite White Russian cocktail recipe.
- Signature Holiday Recipe – Serve this tasty fall cocktail at your Halloween party, Thanksgiving dinner, or anytime you’re craving a sweet pumpkin cocktail.
What is a Classic White Russian Cocktail?
A White Russian is a classic cocktail made with vodka, coffee liqueur (usually Kahlúa), and cream or milk. It’s typically served over ice and is known for its sweet and creamy flavor, with the coffee liqueur providing a rich coffee flavor and the cream or milk adding a smooth, velvety texture. This cocktail gained popularity in the 1960s and is often associated with the character “The Dude” from the movie “The Big Lebowski,” as he frequently enjoys White Russians throughout the film.
What is a Pumpkin Spice White Russian?
A Pumpkin White Russian is a delightful variation of the classic White Russian cocktail, infused with the flavors of pumpkin. It combines the rich and creamy elements of a traditional White Russian with the warm, comforting flavors of pumpkin spice. The result is a creamy, slightly sweet, and spiced-up version of the classic White Russian, perfect for sipping and enjoying the cozy flavors of fall.
Ingredients Needed to Make a Pumpkin Spice White Russian Cocktail
- Pumpkin Puree – Pumpkin puree is the base of our pumpkin sauce. It thickens the sauce and adds the earthy pumpkin flavor.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar sweetens the pumpkin sauce. Granulated sugar will work too if that’s what you have on hand.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup adds a bit more sweetness and enhances the earthy flavor of the pumpkin.
- Water – Water helps thin the sauce into a pourable consistency.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Pumpkin pie spice adds warmth and spice and gives that classic pumpkin flavor.
- Vodka – Vodka is the base of a classic White Russian.
- Coffee Liqueur – Coffee liqueur is also important to a classic white russian–i’m using kahlua
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream adds rich creaminess to balance out the sharpness of the vodka and coffee liqueur.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice White Russians
First, we have to make the pumpkin sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, water, and pumpkin pie spice. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Allow it to simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until it is warm and thickened slightly. Remove the saucepan from heat and let the pumpkin sauce cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge until ready to use. This pumpkin sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days and can also be used to make a pumpkin spice latte!
Now we can make our White Russian! Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the vodka, coffee liqueur, and pumpkin sauce. Shake until well combined–about 30 seconds. 2.Strain the mixture into a lowball glass and fill the glass with ice cubes. Pour over the cream and garnish with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Now you’re ready to enjoy your sweet cocktail.
Here are a few easy variations you can make to this Pumpkin Spice White Russian recipe:
- Substitute the classic vodka with vanilla vodka or pumpkin spice vodka,
- Feel free to use whole milk or half and half instead of cream if that’s all you have.
- Dip the rim in maple syrup or simple syrup and then into crushed graham crackers to decorate the rim of your glasses before serving.
How to Serve a Pumpkin Spice White Russian
White Russians are typically served in an old-fashioned glass, also known as a rocks glass or lowball glass. The rocks glass lets you savor your White Russian at your own pace, keeping it cool and full of flavor without diluting it too quickly. It’s a classic and stylish way to serve this delicious cocktail.
How to Store Leftover Pumpkin Sauce
The best thing about this recipe is the pumpkin sauce and lucky for us, it makes enough for 10 drinks. If you happen to have leftover pumpkin sauce, it can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 10 days and can also be used to make a pumpkin spice latte!
Pumpkin Spice White Russian
For the Pumpkin Sauce
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the White Russian
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce pumpkin sauce
- 1 ounce heavy cream
For the Pumpkin Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, water, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Allow it to simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until it is warm and thickened slightly.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let the pumpkin sauce cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
For the White Russian
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the vodka, coffee liqueur, and pumpkin sauce. Shake until well combined–about 30 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a lowball glass and fill the glass with fresh ice. Add the cream and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
- Sauce recipe makes up to 10 drinks
- The pumpkin sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days and can also be used to make a pumpkin spice latte.