This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Create a homemade version of your favorite fall latte with our delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe. The perfect coffee drink for these cool, crisp fall months!
It’s officially pumpkin spice season and that means it’ time to indulge in one of the season’s most beloved treats – the Pumpkin Spice Latte. If you love coffee and all things pumpkin spice, you’re going to love this easy homemade latte recipe!
With just a few easy steps and a handful of ingredients, you can embrace the fall season right at home. So, skip the coffee shop lines and make your very own homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte in your own kitchen? It’s easier than you might think and it’s loaded with pumpkin flavor. And, the best part is you can make it your own by adjusting the sweetness or spice levels.
Here’s to celebrating these autumn months with the warm, inviting taste of your homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte. Enjoy every sip! Pair this delicious homemade latte with our Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars or these Blueberry Oatmeal Cups.
Why You’ll Love this Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
- Easy to Make – If you can make a pot of coffee, you can make this latte!
- Full of Pumpkin Flavor – Jam packed full of pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice.
- Simple Ingredients – All the ingredients are easy to find at any grocery store.
- Cheaper than Buying – Make your own lattes at home for less than $2.
- Less Sugar – Control the amount of sugar that goes into your DIY pumpkin spice latte.
- Delicious – Can’t beat a delicious latte at home!
Ingredients Needed to Make Pumpkin Lattes
- Milk – This latte tastes best with 2% or whole milk, but you can substitute with skim milk. Non-dairy milk like soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, and coconut milk will also work.
- Coffee – Any type of coffee will work. I prefer a strong coffee. Expresso can also be used if you have an espresso maker.
- Pumpkin Puree – Make sure it’s real pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – store-bought or make your own pumpkin pie spice using spices you already have.
- Sugar – You can use regular sugar, brown sugar, or simple syrup. You can also swap the sugar for maple syrup or honey.
- Vanilla – adds a nice flavor to the drink.
How to Make Your Own Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Whisk the milk, sugar, and pumpkin puree together in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it is hot and almost simmering. Make sure you don’t boil the milk. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Make your favorite coffee and pour it into a large mug. Add the pumpkin milk mixture to your coffee and mix. If you like traditional lattes, steam and froth a few ounces of milk and spoon milk froth onto the top of the drink. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice for the best pumpkin spice latter! And, if you want to make your drink extra fancy, add a cinnamon stick before serving.
How to Froth Milk for Lattes
Frothing milk can be a fun and delicious way to enhance your coffee or hot beverage and make it more like a coffee shop version. The easiest way to froth milk is to use a frother. First, heat the milk in the microwave or on the stovetop until it’s warm but not boiling.
Pour the warm milk into a mug or a container and insert the handheld milk frother into the milk and turn it on. Move the frother up and down or in a circular motion for about 20-30 seconds. The frother will create creamy froth on the surface of the milk. Once you achieve your desired level of froth, turn off the frother and remove it from the milk.
Also, the type of milk you use can affect the frothing process. Whole milk tends to froth better than low-fat or skim milk due to its higher fat content. Additionally, using cold milk will yield better results than using milk at room temperature. Experiment with different methods and milk types to find the frothing technique that works best for you.
Storing Leftover Pumpkin Spice Milk
If you happen to have leftover pumpkin spice milk, store in an airtight container and place in fridge for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to make another seasonal drink, heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use cold coffee or add ice to make an iced pumpkin spice lattes? Absolutely! This recipe is perfect for making iced lattes. Use cold brew coffee in place of the hot and add ice to your cup. Use your milk frother to make cold foam.
Can I make a decaf pumpkin spice latte? Of course! If you don’t want caffiene or can’t have caffeine, make a pumpkin spice latte with your favorite decaf coffee.
What’s the easiest way to make homemade pumpkin pie spice mix? Simply mix together 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ginger and 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves or allspice to make your own pumpkin pie spice.
If you love pumpkin recipes, I think you’ll love these:
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup strong coffee
- Whisk together the milk, sugar, and pumpkin puree in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until it is hot and almost simmering. Make sure you don't boil the milk.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Make coffee and pour it into a large mug. Add the pumpkin spice milk to your coffee and mix.
- Optional – Steam and froth a few ounces of milk and spoon milk froth onto the top of the drink. Top with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.