This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Crispy sweet potato tater tots made in the air fryer – a delicious and healthy way to make your own homemade tater tots! These sweet potato tots are sure to become a family favorite.
First of all, who doesn’t love tater tots?! Aren’t they the best? As soon as I saw people were making homemade sweet potato tater tots, I knew I had to give it a try. There are so many recipes out there for veggie tots but I think I made them the easiest way possible.
This is a simple recipe that can be switched up using different vegetables. I would highly recommend doubling the recipe because these tots will disappear quickly. I made these with just sweet potatoes but you can easily add zucchini, squash, and other soft veggies to the sweet potato puree.
Ingredients Needed to Make Sweet Potato Tater Tots
- Sweet potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Panko breadcrumb
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Homemade Sweet Potato Tater Tots
Homemade Sweet Potatoes are so easy to make! First, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place sweet potato cubes in medium saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Once water starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes can be pierced with a fork. Drain the water. With the help of a potato masher, mash the sweet potato until you obtain a smooth purée.
Place the purée in a medium bowl. Add garlic powder, onion powder, panko breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper to sweet potato purée and mix to combine everything.
To make the tater tots, take one tablespoon of the purée and with your hand, form into tater tots shapes.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil and add the tater tots in one single layer. Cook at 400 ˚F for 8 minutes. Stir and cook for another 8 minutes. Serve hot with ketchup, mayo or your favorite dipping sauce.
Dips to Serve with Tater Tots
More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tater Tots
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumb
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into cubes
- Place sweet potato cubes in a medium saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes can be pierced with a fork.
- Drain the water. With the help of a potato masher, mash the sweet potato until you obtain a smooth purée.
- Place the purée in a medium bowl. Add garlic powder, onion powder, panko bread crumbs, salt, and pepper and mix to combine everything.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the purée and with your hand, form purée into tater tot shapes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and add the tater tots in one single layer.
- Cook at 400 ˚F for 8 minutes. Stir and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup, mayo, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- It’s better to eat the sweet potato tater tots immediately, but you can always reheat them in the air fryer for 4 minutes at 350 ˚F if you have any leftovers.
- When buying, choose sweet potatoes that are firm and free from bruises and sprouts.
- Sweet potatoes can be stored for 7 to 10 days in a dark, cool, dry place.