If you’re craving something sweet, you’re going to love this easy Chocolate Hummus recipe. Made with garbonzo beans, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and peanut butter – this dessert hummus is sure to become your new favorite dessert!
What’s better than a delicious dessert dip? A delicious dessert dip that’s healthy for you! Chocolate Hummus is a delicious dessert dip that tastes a lot like brownie batter. If you love chocolate desserts, you’re going to LOVE this chocolate hummus recipe and you won’t even know that you’re eating something healthier. This dessert dip satisfies your sweet tooth and will make you hooked on sweet hummus dips.
What is Dessert Hummus?
Traditional hummus is made with garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), tahini, and savory toppings like red peppers, olives, and seasonings. Dessert hummus is also made with garbanzo beans but instead of adding savory ingredients, we’re adding cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and peanut butter. Other sweet ingredients found in dessert hummus includes honey and agave. We also like to add chocolate chips because everyone loves chocolate chips.
Is Dessert Hummus Healthy?
I consider Chocolate Hummus to be healthier than traditional desserts like cookies, cakes, and brownies. The ingredients used in this recipe are considered to be clean ingredients because we are adding simple, non-processed foods. Garbanzo beans are high in protein and fiber. The addition of peanut butter also adds protein and healthy fats.
We’re also adding maple syrup to this hummus so it’s a natural sweetener. Honey can also be used to sweeten this dessert which is also another clean, natural sweetener. You can also add clean chocolate chips like the Enjoy foods brand.
I can confidently say that this chocolate hummus served with fresh fruit is healthier than eating a piece of cake or a handful of cookies.
Ingredients Needed to Make Chocolate Hummus
- Garbanzo beans: Also, called chickpeas. Make sure to drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Peanut butter: Creamy all-natural peanut butter is what I recommend using. Can also use sunflower butter or almond butter.
- Maple syrup: Use real maple syrup, not the syrup used for pancakes and waffles. Can also use use honey or agave.
- Cocoa powder: Make sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder found in the baking aisle.
- Vanilla extract: Adds extra flavor and brings out the flavors in the other ingredients.
How to Make Chocolate Hummus
This chocolate hummus takes 5 minutes to make! Just add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth (scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed). I like a really smooth hummus so I process mine for about 45 seconds, but feel free to make it as smooth or as chunky as you like. If the dough forms a ball rather than a smooth hummus, add 2 tablespoons of milk (dairy or non-dairy) and pulse it again.
Once the hummus is smooth, add to a serving bowl. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Hummus
- This is not a sweet hummus– if you prefer a sweeter dessert, add more maple syrup or powdered sugar (to taste) to food processor when blending ingredients together.
- I love to garnish this hummus with flakey sea salt and mini chocolate chips but a swirl of melted peanut butter would also be fun!
- Serve Chocolate Hummus with fresh fruit, graham crackers, or shortbread cookies. This hummus also tastes great as a spread on bagels, toast, waffles, or pancakes.
More Delicious Dessert Dips
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth (scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed). If the dough forms a ball rather than a smooth hummus, add 2 tablespoons of milk (dairy or non-dairy) and pulse it again.
- Once the hummus is smooth, serve it with fruit, pretzels, or graham crackers.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.