I was looking everywhere for a new kitchen rug in bright, vibrant colors that matched my kitchen and I was having no luck. And then I came across this pin on Pinterest and was inspired to make my own rug!! I was so excited to get started because I love a good DIY project.
Diane over at In My Own Style shares an ingenious tutorial on how to make your own rug using fabric and vinyl flooring. I immediately headed to Joann’s and picked out my fabric. Then I went to Lowe’s to get the vinyl remnant, spray adhesive and water based polyurethane.
I loved the fact that I could pick any fabric that I wanted and I could make it myself for a fraction of the cost. How much better can it get?
Diane gives very detailed directions in her tutorial HERE but it really is pretty simple. I put newspaper down and did it all on my dining room table.
- Cut your vinyl remnant to the size you want. Mine measures 3 ft x 4 ft.
- Spray the vinyl with spray adhesive.
- Spread your fabric out over the vinyl and smooth out.
- Apply two coats of polyurethane
- Once that is dry, flip over the vinyl. Spray more adhesive to the edges of the fabric, fold over and smooth the fabric out. Then use duct tape to make sure it sticks to the vinyl.
- Apply two coats of poly to the fabric edges.
- When dry, flip over and apply a few more coats of polyurethane. I did 3 more coats like Diane recommended.
- The only thing I added was a rug gripper to the back so my rug didn’t slide around. I just wanted to make sure it didn’t move around in my kitchen.
I absolutely love my new kitchen rug!! I love the fabric. It is so bright and cheery. I smile every time I walk in the kitchen and look at it. Plus it is so easy to clean. The best part is showing it off to everyone that comes over.
If you need a new kitchen rug, I definitely recommend making your own. I think you will be really happy with your finished product. And I have to add that I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t found this tutorial on Pinterest! I’d probably still be looking for a rug so thank goodness for Pinterest!!
Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless think of if you
added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more,
“pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this website could certainly
be one of the greatest in its niche. Fantastic blog!