This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Spring Vegetable Quinoa Minestrone – A soup full of all your favorite spring vegetables.
It’s been chilly and raining for the past 3 days so I was in the mood for soup. You just can’t go wrong with a hot bowl of soup on a rainy day; especially if it’s loaded with lots of fresh veggies. This Spring Vegetable Quinoa Minestone definitely hit the spot.
Not only does it come together quickly in one big pot, but it makes plenty for leftovers. This means I have lunch for the week. It’s also healthy and nourishing. I’ve swapped out the pasta for quinoa for extra protein and loaded it with lots of spring vegetables. YUM!
The great thing about this soup is you can all of your favorite vegetables or switch it up throughout the year using whatever vegetables are in season. I added kale this time but sometime I use spinach instead. You can’t really mess this soup up. And, that’s what makes this recipe awesome – add your favorite vegetables for a warm, hearty soup.
I wish you all could smell my house right now. Suddenly, I don’t even care that it’s chilly and it’s been raining for three days. My house smells great and dinner is served! This might be my new favorite dinner to make. Talk about a one pot meal. You literally throw everything in a large pot and let everything simmer away. Serve with toasted bread and lots of Parmesan cheese because everything tastes better with bread and cheese.
What are your favorite spring vegetables to add to minestrone soup?Print
Spring Vegetable Quinoa Minestrone
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounces) can great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, thyme, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, quinoa, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans, asparagus, peas, broccoli, and kale. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables have softened to your liking.
- Remove bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.