This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Healthy Berry Streusel Bars made with oats, almond butter, honey, and lot of berries. The perfect combination of clean ingredients make up these delicious streusel bars.
Berry Streusel Bars
I can’t decide if I should call this a dessert recipe or breakfast recipe. I love a sweet treat with my morning coffee but I also love a fruity dessert. I guess we’ll just say it’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, dessert and even a midday snack. Just plan on eating these berry bars all day long because you won’t be able to eat just one.
I’m really trying to eat healthy, clean recipes but it’s can be hard to find clean and sweet streusel bars filled with fruit without the added sugar. But, I’m here to say that I’ve found the perfect recipe. These delicious Berry Streusel Bars are naturally sweetened with honey so there is no reason to feel guilty about treating yourself to one of these bars.
What makes these berry streusel bars healthy and clean? First, the crumble is made with oats, almond butter, honey, coconut oil and one egg. No sugar or flour – just clean, healthy ingredients. And, the fruit filling is made with just fruit, honey, and vanilla extract. What’s not to love about that?
But that’s why I also think they make the perfect dessert. Add a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt and you have a fabulous and healthy dessert everyone will love. They’re so good that you might not want to share with anyone or you can just double the recipe so you can keep one batch for yourself and share the rest.
Maybe I’ll just eat one for breakfast and one for dessert too. The perfect treat to satisfy the huge sweet tooth that I have. And, the best part – I don’t fee guilty about treating myself!
How to Make Healthy Berry Streusel Bars
First, prepare fruit filling by adding fruit and honey to medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Remove fruit from heat and mix in cornstarch mixture and vanilla. Let cool while you prepare oat crumble.
To prepare oat crumble, mix oats, cinnamon, peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, and egg in large bowl. Press 2/3 of the oat mixture into prepared baking pan and bake in the oven. Pour berry filling over baked oat crust. Add almonds to reserved oat mixture and crumble over berry filling and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Healthy and Clean Berry Streusel Bars
Healthy and Clean Berry Streusel Bars made with oats, almond butter, honey, and lot of berries. The perfect combination of clean ingredients make up these delicious streusel bars.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9-12 square bars 1x
- 2 cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Oatmeal Crust & Crumble Topping:
- 2 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup peanut butter or almond oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare fruit filling by adding fruit and honey to medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl.
- Remove fruit from heat and mix in cornstarch mixture and vanilla. Let cool while you prepare oat crumble.
- In large bowl, mix oats, cinnamon, peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, and egg. Press 2/3 of the oat mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Add almonds to reserved oat mixture.
- Pour berry filling over oat crust.
- Crumble almond oat topping over berry filling. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Bars can be prepared ahead of time and kept in refrigerator. They are actually easier to cut if they are place in refrigerator before cutting.
- These Bars also freeze well.
I’m diabetic and wondered if the recipe would work with sugar free syrup for the fruit filling and /or Splenda for the crumble?